Wednesday, June 3, 2009

'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' error for site collection admin

. Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Last night I received an issue wherein a site collection admin was getting the below error only on the home page of her site. We tried with all WFEs and even with a test user account but could not replicate the issue.

 

image

 

How I resolved it: -

Since she was a site collection admin, it was safe to give her full control anywhere. The home page was a publishing page that uses masterpages and page layouts. So I went to the master page gallery and provided her full control and bingo it worked ! Next day she again received the same error. One of our team member went into the checked out files section and took ownership of all her files. And shoot, this time he was able to replicate the issue. we did a simple Binary search and were able to find out the culprit file and took it our of the library. Next thing, client regained her access. :)

3 comments:

Siddhu said...

1Q..how did you find out the corrupt file. there are 100 files checked out to her :(

Himani said...

well, use Binary search for this. Divide the checked out files list into half; take ownership and then try opening the page; if you get the same error the file is in that half. This is what we did. I know its exhaustive but as of now this looks like the only approach.

Siddhu said...

Kool..Thanks a lot for the post miss brain